Barclays Africa, a standalone African financial services group
Delivering an integrated set of products and services across personal and business banking, corporate and investment banking, wealth and investment management and insurance.
Shareholding split by geography
South Africa 41%
United Kingdom 28%
United States and Canada 17%
Rest of the world 14%
|1||Excluding Head Office, Treasury and other operations.|
|3||Barclays Bank Tanzania and National Bank of Commerce.|
… delivering our One Africa strategy
We are strongly positioned as a local bank with regional and international expertise. We aspire to build the leading financial services group in our chosen countries in Africa and selected customer and client segments, and to remain relevant and competitive in all our presence countries.
We continue our journey to distinguish ourselves …
… from international banks by operating a bank with deep African insights from our local operations.
… from local and regional banks through our access to international technologies and products and our ability to connect our customers and clients seamlessly to international markets.
… by embodying Shared Growth as a business ethos and a sustainable way of conducting business.
Driving change through four strategic themes …
Investing in the greatest growth opportunities and connecting Africa to international capital markets.
Customer and client experience
Making our customers’ and clients’ lives easier and helping them to prosper.
Simplify and accelerate
Simplifying our business processes to better serve our customers and clients, by sustainably reducing costs and improving efficiencies.
Powered by people and technology
Unlocking the power of a dynamic workforce enabled by technology, information and innovation to deliver value to our customers and clients.
By focusing on …
- Growing banking and insurance in key retail and business market segments
- Serving corporate clients in key growth sectors and enabling international client coverage
- Creating value propositions informed by data insights and innovation
- Serving our customers and clients through a network of branches, ATMs, corporate offices and digital platforms, including internet and apps, point-of-sale, and call centres
- Developing, automating and optimising our products and processes
- Delivering our technology resilience programme
- Attracting, developing and retaining employees
- Empowering our employees with information and technology
Measured against our medium-term targets …
as set out in 2014 …
- A return on equity in the range of 18 – 20%.
- Top three by revenue in our five key markets (Botswana, Ghana, Kenya, South Africa and Zambia).
- A revenue share of 20 – 25% from Rest of Africa.
- A cost-to-income ratio in the low 50s.
While building the Group of the future …
We keep evolving and building new strategic capabilities that enable us to be relevant and competitive as we move into the future.
These initiatives include:
- new digital payment technologies; and
- leveraging strategic partnerships to drive innovation, increase market access and enhance our customer value propositions.
While we remained focused on delivering our business commitments for the year under the One Africa strategy, we moved into the execution phase of the Separation while redefining our Purpose and set a new strategy as a standalone African financial services group.